what are PDO threads?
PDO threads, also known as Polydioxanone threads, are a type of medical suture made from a biocompatible synthetic material called polydioxanone. These threads have been used in various medical applications, including cardiac surgery and other surgical procedures, due to their safety and ability to dissolve harmlessly in the body over time.
In recent years, PDO threads have gained popularity in the field of aesthetic medicine for their non-surgical lifting and rejuvenating effects. When used in cosmetic procedures, PDO threads are inserted into the skin to lift and tighten sagging or loose tissues in the face and other areas of the body. The threads have small barbs or cones that anchor into the skin, allowing them to provide an immediate lifting effect and stimulate collagen production for long-term skin rejuvenation.
The use of PDO (Polydioxanone) threads in cosmetic procedures offers several benefits, making it a popular choice for individuals seeking non-surgical facial rejuvenation. Some of the key benefits of using PDO threads include:
- Non-Surgical: PDO thread treatments are minimally invasive and do not require surgery. This means there are no incisions, stitches, or significant downtime involved, making it a more accessible option for individuals who want to avoid the risks and recovery associated with surgery.
- Facial Lifting and Tightening: PDO threads are designed to lift and tighten sagging or loose skin in various areas of the face, including the cheeks, jawline, jowls, and neck. The threads have tiny barbs or cones that anchor to the skin, providing an immediate lifting effect while stimulating collagen production for long-term improvement.
- Stimulates Collagen Production: As PDO threads are inserted into the skin, they create micro-injuries that trigger the body’s natural healing response. This process stimulates collagen production, leading to improved skin texture, elasticity, and firmness over time.
- Natural-Looking Results: PDO thread treatments provide gradual and natural-looking results. The lifted appearance of the skin looks natural and not overly dramatic, enhancing the individual’s natural features and rejuvenating their appearance.
- Versatility: PDO threads come in various types and lengths, allowing practitioners to tailor the treatment to each patient’s specific needs and desired outcomes. They can be used to address specific concerns, such as sagging cheeks, nasolabial folds, marionette lines, and more.
- Minimal Downtime: After a PDO thread treatment, patients can resume their normal activities relatively quickly. While some mild swelling or bruising may occur, it typically subsides within a few days to a week.
- Long-Lasting Results: The lifting effects of PDO threads are noticeable immediately after the procedure, and the results continue to improve over time as collagen production increases. The results typically last anywhere from 1 to 2 years, depending on individual factors and the type of threads used.
- Gradual and Adjustable: The lift achieved with PDO threads is gradual, allowing patients and practitioners to monitor the progress and make adjustments as needed. If desired, additional threads can be added later to maintain or enhance the results.
- Safe and Well-Tolerated: PDO threads are made from a biocompatible material that has been used in various medical applications for many years. They have a good safety profile and are generally well-tolerated by most patients.